Recipe Type: Main Entree
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
A take on the popular dish served at many Chinese places
- 2 cups diced chicken
- 1-2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3-4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (more if like it HOT)
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- flour as needed for thickening (approx. 1-2 tablespoons)
- First cook the chicken and dice it up. *Time saver* buy already cooked chicken breasts or use leftover chicken from another meal.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add in all ingredients EXCEPT THE CHICKEN.
- Heat over medium, stirring well, until all ingredients are dissolved and well-mixed.
- Add in chicken and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) for 15-20 minutes or until sauce reaches your desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice.
I am so in love with this recipe. Here are some photos of the recipe in stages from start to completion.